Skip Navigation

Wessex Water would like to use cookies on your computer to help make this website work better for you. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but doing this will mean that parts of the site will not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our cookie notice.
I accept cookies from this site

You are here: Home > Customers > In your home


Home emergencies

How do I locate my stoptap?

External stop taps are usually located at the front of the property, normally within the public footpath. If this is not the case, please call 0345 600 4 600 and we will arrange for a local inspector to visit.

My water is cloudy - what should I do?

Aerated water, white or cloudy water is where air has been trapped in the supply main, generally after the main has been opened to carry out essential maintenance. Air gets trapped within the pipe and, under the force of the mains pressure, the large air pocket splits into very tiny air pockets. These look like white specs in the water and can often make water look milky. This is harmless and will normally clear within 24 hours. If you have any concerns, please call 0345 600 4 600.

What should I do if my property has been flooded with sewage?

Immediately call 0345 600 4 600, 24 hrs, to report the incident. A crew will attend as soon as possible to assist you. In the meantime, you should avoid contact with sewage wherever possible.

My water has been cut off. What should I do?

If possible, check if your neighbours’ properties are also affected. If you are the only property affected, it may be an internal plumbing problem. If not, please call 0345 600 4 600 and we will investigate.

How can I report a leak?

To report a public or private leak call Leakstoppers. We offer a free repair service on domestic supply pipes. However, our responsibility for the pipe ends at the external stop tap. Any work carried out between the external stop tap and your property is carried out as a gesture of goodwill within normal working hours. If an urgent repair is required on private pipework, you may need to contact a private contractor at your own expense.

How can I avoid burst pipes during cold weather?

The supply pipe taking water from the main into your property should be at a sufficient depth to prevent freezing. It is the householder’s responsibility to ensure internal pipework is sufficiently lagged. For more information visit our frost advice pages.

How can I report a broken or damaged manhole cover?

Please call 0345 600 4 600. We will check our records and if it is our responsibility, we will attend and arrange a repair or replacement.

I think the sewer is blocked. What should I do?

Please call 0345 600 4 600 and we will determine who is responsible for the sewer. If it is our responsibility, we will attend and clear the blockage free of charge. If it is a private sewer, we may be able to clear the blockage for a fee – this depends on our resources at the time of your call. Alternatively you can use a private contractor.

I suspect a local river has been polluted with sewage. Who should I contact?

If you believe that the watercourse is being polluted with sewage, please call 0345 600 4 600 as soon as possible. For any other type of pollution, please call the Environment Agency.

Bogus callers have been operating in my neighbourhood. What should I do if I suspect a caller is bogus?

Please call 0345 600 4 600 immediately. If the caller is not genuine, we would advise you to call the police. For more information, see our Doorstep Code.

do you need help or advise
Ask Lynn
Ask Lynn a question



Related Video

Customer calling


Emergencies and operational problems

0345 600 4 600

Billing and customer services

0345 600 3 600


0800 692 0692



green trees Please consider the environment before printing this page printer friendly pagePrinter friendly page