Helping you understand your water usage
If you are a metered customer your bill is based on the amount of water you use.
We have provided the following information to help you understand why your household may be using more water than you expected.
It could be due to:
- high use of water using appliances eg, power showers. Normal showers use around 45 litres but power showers can use around 80 litres per use
- watering gardens – a hose or sprinkler can use a significant amount of water
- problems with internal plumbing, appliances and overflows eg, dripping taps can waste at least 1,500 litres of water a year and most new toilet cisterns have an internal overflow down the back of the pan so losing water is not always obvious
- change in circumstances eg, visitors staying or having a baby
- other household members using more water than you expect
- topping up swimming pools and ponds
- a faulty or incorrectly set water softener – if faulty they can run to waste almost continuously without being noticed
- a previous estimated bill
- a leak on your service pipe.
Before looking for a leak, it is important to eliminate any other reasons why your water use may have increased.
Once you have done this we suggest you calculate your use.
Please consider the environment before printing this page Printer friendly page