Are you an experienced and practical ecologist with some experience of people management in the utilities industry or a similar sector? If so, we have a great opportunity for you within our environment and planning team.
Wessex Water is the top performing water and sewerage company in the UK, serving 2.8 million customers across the south west of England. Our engineering and construction business is responsible for designing and building the infrastructure for our services, including pipelines, sewage treatment works, pumping stations and reservoirs.
Our in-house environment and planning team, which includes the ecology team, provides a wide range of environmental and planning support to engineering, construction and operational projects. Its focus is to ensure legal compliance and ecological best practice.
As principal ecologist, you will be working alongside our in-house environment and planning advisers, engineers, project managers and construction staff to deliver innovative, efficient and cost-effective project solutions.
Day to day, you will be leading our ecological survey programme delivered by a small team of ecologists to deliver a range of services, including ecological surveys, ecological impact assessments, protected species work and supporting mitigation and construction. The ecology team supports a diverse range of projects and enjoys the satisfaction of working on projects from outline design through to completion. Although this is a team leader role you will also manage your own selection of projects.
You'll need to be innovative and forward thinking - you will work closely with the environment and planning manager, supporting general management and wider initiatives (eg, tools used to track biodiversity loss/gain and promote in-field data collection using mobile mapping solutions).
This is a diverse role and you will be responsible for managing our post-project landscape planting programme, in addition to supporting elements of our ISO 14001 Environmental Management System.
You'll need the following:
* Extensive technical experience in a range of ecological and protected species surveys and mitigation projects.
* Strong ecological report writing skills and experience of preparing Habitats Regulations Assessments.
* A number of individual protected species licences, including a great crested newt licence,
* Strong working knowledge of current environmental legislation.
* Organisational skills to manage the resource requirements for project delivery and to ensure high quality outputs.
* Experience of managing people, including mentoring and supporting the technical development of team members.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written, verbal and presentations) to allow you to develop and maintain good working relationships with key stakeholders and to assist with the delivery of environmental training.
* Strong experience of providing ecological advice in the design and delivery of a range of built development and infrastructure projects.
* Some experience of working on construction sites.
* A pro-active and flexible approach with a focus on successful project delivery.
* A relevant degree and preferred chartership from a suitable professional body. You will ideally have a minimum of 10 years' project experience.
* Good IT skills and practical experience of GIS systems
You must be able to demonstrate proof of skills gained and eligibility to work in the UK.
We're happy to talk flexible working - in association with Working Families.
We do not accept CVs from recruitment agencies. We are an equal opportunities employer. You must be able to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the UK and proof of skills and qualifications gained. Appointment of successful applicant/s will also be subject to receiving suitable references and basic (or where job applicable) other criminal disclosure checks.
We respect and value everyone’s contribution. Wessex Water is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to providing an environment that supports and encourages the many skills, interests, backgrounds and experiences that people from different social groups can bring. We strive to provide a workplace which is free from discrimination, harassment and bullying, and where everyone is treated with dignity and respect.