River or road flooding

River or road flooding

Heavy rainfall can lead to localised flooding which may affect your property, open spaces or roads.  

Different agencies are responsible for assisting you depending on what is flooding. Below is a quick guide to help you decide who you should contact about the flooding.

If it is in relation to a river or flood defences, you will need to contact the Environment Agency or call their Floodline on 0345 988 1188

If the flooding is on the highways or is associated with a slatted ‘gully’ drain (slatted drain, normally at the side of a road), you will need to speak to either your local council or National Highways (formally Highways England).

If you are experiencing sewage flooding please report it via www.wessexwater.co.uk/report-a-problem or call us on 0345 600 4 600. 

You can also:  

  • Contact your local council to report a road is flooded or to request sandbags to protect your home. Sandbags are also available to purchase from most builders' merchants
  • Check the Highways England website or listen to your local BBC radio station to find out if any roads are closed due to flooding
  • Go to the Environment Agency website or call their Floodline on 0345 988 1188 if you are concerned about rising water levels in a river near you or want information about flood warnings. The Environment Agency is responsible for building, maintaining and operating flood defences and for issuing flood warnings to the public.

Localised flooding occurs:  

  • when gullies are blocked  
  • when rainwater overwhelms highway drains  
  • in areas where drainage is poor.
Flood responsibility

Sewer flooding

In the event that your property is flooded with sewage internally or externally, please report it via www.wessexwater.co.uk/report-a-problem or call our floodline on 0345 600 4 600 (24 hours). 

For further information see our sewer flooding help and advice section.