Trade effluent

Trade effluent

If your business discharges non-household sewage (trade effluent) to the public sewer, you will need to obtain consent from us.


Latest Update: please note the following guidance and position statement are valid until 31 July 2020 - Any applications for the disposal of waste beer or cider from 1 August 2020 will need to be made via your retailer in accordance with the market process.

If you run or manage a pub in the Wessex Water area requiring to dispose of waste beer or cider due to the Covid-19 restrictions, please follow the guidelines below. See our regulatory position statement.

Where possible, part and full barrels should be returned to the brewery or retailer/wholesaler for suitable disposal. Where this is not practical, individual pubs can ask Wessex Water for permission to discharge to the public foul sewer.

Please contact us via email at and provide the following details:

  1. Location – The exact address of the premises from which you intend to discharge
  2. Quantity – The volume of beer/cider that you are proposing to discharge

We will use the information provided to assess the risk and whether we can safely receive the proposed discharge. We will respond with instructions as soon as possible.

There will be no cost to your business.

Beer has a very high Biological Oxygen Demand content. It has the potential to adversely impact the treatment processes at our Sewer Network and/or Water Recycling Centres and therefore the environment. If you dispose of waste beer without permission from Wessex Water, you could be found in breach of the Water Industry Act 1991 which may result in a fine and/or criminal prosecution.