Trade effluent

Trade effluent

If your business discharges non-household sewage (trade effluent) to the public sewer, you will need to obtain consent from us.

From large food and drink manufacturing sites, to car washes and laundrettes, there are more than 1,200 consents issued to businesses in our region.

Mobile businesses such as car valeting services and cleaning operations (stonework and fire damage) need consents along with businesses who are carrying out cleaning operations including vehicle washing.

New developments should also ensure they apply for consent in advance of the discharge starting to ensure our infrastructure has available capacity.  Contact us as soon as possible in these cases.

Consent is required because trade effluent discharges from business and industrial premises can have harmful effects including damage to sewers, water recycling processes (sewage treatment processes) and watercourses.

Discharges above five cubic metres (m3) per day generally require a full consent.

Short-term discharges such as chemical cleaning of chilled and hot water heating systems require prior authorisation but may not require a full consent.

Discharges that do not require consent include:

  • household sewage such as waste water from toilet flushing, hand basins, showers and canteens
  • sewage from certain types of businesses including schools, restaurants, takeaways, holiday parks and nursing homes.

If you are unsure whether you need consent, please email .

To obtain consent you will also need to appoint a retailer.  Please appoint early and make your application for consent through your retailer. Find out more about retailers.

If your business generates waste that you would like tankered away, please visit this page on the GENeco website for more information. Alternative waste carriers are available.