Lower your water bills | Wessex Water

Lower your water bills

Money can be a worry for us all and sometimes we struggle to pay our bills. We can help if you're finding it difficult to pay your water bill. If you have a water meter and you need to use a large amount of water for reasons beyond your control, WaterSure Plus may be beneficial for you. If you're unable to afford your ongoing water bill, we can offer you a low rate bill through our Assist tariff. If everyone in your household who is over 18 years old receives Pension Credit or state pension is their only income, you can receive our Pension Credit discount.

WaterSure Plus

Suitable if:

  • your home is metered 
  • you live in a low income household with unavoidably high water use.

Key feature: 

  • It limits the amount you have to pay for your metered bill. 

To apply:

  • You must receive one of the means tested benefits or tax credits and either:
    • the person receive the benefits or tax credits also receives child benefit for three or more children living at home under the age of 19
    • someone in your household has a medical condition that causes them to use significantly more water

Help if you're in extreme financial difficulty - Assist

Suitable if you: 

  • are in extreme financial difficulty 
  • cannot afford your water bill. 

Key features:

  • It means you pay a lower bill than normal based on your ability to pay. 
  • It can be used alongside our Restart scheme. 

To apply:

Step 1: You will need to get free independent advice.

Step 2: You will need to provide details of your income, household bills and any debts or savings you have.  

If you're waiting for debt advice and need us to put a hold on your account, get in touch and tell us which organisation you are waiting to see, the date and time and the advisor's name, if known. Please continue to pay what you can while you are applying for help. 

Step 3: We will let you know within five working days if you have been accepted and what will happen next. 

Assist for organisations

Organisations who provide housing for people who are likely to be eligible for the Assist tariff are able to apply for Assist rather than pay standard charges.

Organisations may qualify provided that:

  • they are a not for profit organisation, or registered charity
  • they provide housing for people likely to be eligible for Assist
  • the premises are owned by the qualifying organisation and primarily used for the housing of eligible people

Get a discount if you receive pension credit

Suitable if: 

  • All adults in your household are in receipt of pension credit or have the state pension as their only income. 

Key features: 

  • A discount of around 20% off your water bill if you receive Pension Credit or the state pension is your only income. 

To apply:

You will need: 

  • your date of birth and National Insurance number
  • a copy of your evidence to show entitlement to pension credit or a copy of your bank statement showing state pension as your only income. Any evidence sent needs to show your name and address and be dated within the last 12 months.

Pension credit: If you are aged 60 and over and live in the UK, you may be able to apply for pension credit subject to income or you may be eligible to have your income topped up by the government.

To check what benefits you are entitled to, call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0345 606 0234 or go to the gov.uk website to get more information about pension credit.

Find out more about pension credit